One night as we were driving home from a birthday dinner together, my father listened intently as I relayed my present frustrations and worries.
"Dad," I said, "I just don't know what I want to do with my life. I have a lame job, I'm graduated from college and living in my parents' house... I just don't feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be right now!"
I explained to him further that I felt like there were better things and better places for me, and that I was feeling a little "stuck" in a life that was less than ideal. My father listened carefully, and then took the opportunity to teach me a great lesson.
"We must learn, Darcy, to be happy in our current situation," he said. "There is something to learn in each phase of life, and there is a purpose for your being where you are at this moment."
A mentor of mine later echoed my father's counsel. She said, "I get up every morning and pray that God will allow me to be at the right place at the right time when I am needed that day. It is all I can hope for -- to accomplish the thing I was needed for that day."
I am learning to become an instrument.
Instruments come in all shapes and sizes, and have different uses. Each lends the user a different advantage in any given situation; each has a distinct purpose and value. Instruments are useless if they are not used for the purpose for which they were created. A hammer cannot perform the tasks meant for a screwdriver. You cannot eat soup with a fork.
I must, then continually ask myself, "What of my strengths are needed in this, my current life situation? Why am I here now, and what can I learn as I act?"
It is then, and only then, that I feel complete, as my gifts are used in a plan greater than my own.
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is a great thought, thanks for sharing.
My Bishop was talking yesterday about how everything that is crucial in life takes place in the temple.
It really altered my perspective. Have I been going around thinking that my work, or my social life (actually lack of social life) is crucial, when it is the Gospel, our perspective, and the Temple that gives us this.
I appreciate you adding your thoughts to all of this.
My body is an instrument.
I'm just sayin'.
Found you through ThomCarter. I live at home with my parents and I'm a college grad too. Until I'm out of my "stuck" stage, I just recognize how lucky I am: 1) I have a relationship with my parents that is positive and allows us to still live together without killing each other and 2) I am saving money. The "stuck" stage will end soon enough but until then, I'm so glad to have extra bonding time.
Post a Comment