This blog has MOVED! CLICK HERE for "The Charmed Life of the Pingels".

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Why I'm a Hopeless Romantic

This is not a blog about dating.

I don't believe in blogging about the differences between men and women, the "game", how to catch/date/marry/lose a guy, dating rules, so-and-so's relationship, the so-called "men I have dated", etc, etc. In short, I don't think talking or writing about dating gets us any closer to being in a relationship or married. Additionally, I think the more we talk about dating, the more we trap ourselves by our own theories, leaving little or no wiggle room for that special someone, who will most likely never fit into the Mr. Wonderful suit our words have sewn for him. Enough said.

I do, however believe in a thing called love.

Ok, enough with the eye rolling already. I'm being serious here. Since I was a little girl, my mom has said to me on many an occasion, "Darcy, you're such a hopeless romantic!" In my younger years, I wasn't ever quite sure what that meant. But the older I get, the more sure I am that my mother is exactly right. I'm as hopeless romantic as hopeless romantic can get. Let's give you some examples to illustrate:

1. Remember when Jim confessed his love for Pam in the season finale of The Office, then finds her later and kisses her even after she told him no? The last five minutes of that episode left me completely breathless. I watched it about 30 times on YouTube.

2. I often find myself perusing the Love and Romance section in the greeting card aisles at Target, Hallmark, etc. I find the most romantic cards I can, and I buy them, even though I have no one to give them to currently.

3. My iTunes has always had a mix of my favorite love songs called "Wedding Mix". Am I engaged? No. Dating anyone? Negative. I just love a good love song that much.

4. I have a recurring fantasy. It's not sexual or even sensual in nature. It's me, walking out to my car on my way to work/school/whatever, and finding a note from the man I love, simply telling me he was thinking about me. Nothing more, nothing less. I replay this in my mind all the time.

5. I am a singer/songwriter who can't write a single song that isn't a love song. I've tried. I could write a song about a pair of socks and it would turn into a love song.

The list goes on, but to save myself from any more public humiliation, I'll end it here. I think you get the picture.

So here's to all you fellow romantics out there. Here's to hoping that the "hopeless" part stays and the "romantic" part never leaves us. Here's to those who, despite past losses and heartache, still have a spark for all things romantic... who still love Valentines Day without a Valentine to speak of.

I know you're out there.

2 comments:

TUG said...

Word to you Darcy Fab . . . Word to YOU!

Ben said...

You are a hopeless romantic. I love your number 4. I often find myself thinking of different things I could write and leave for the girl I love to find. Thanks for the inspirational words.