This blog has MOVED! CLICK HERE for "The Charmed Life of the Pingels".

Saturday, September 27, 2008

P is for Pingel

It's official. I'm one of them.

I've changed everything... social security card, bank account, driver's license... everything. And you know what? Sometimes I still stutter when people ask me what my name is. "Umm Darcy Anders...Pingel!"

It's a funny name that sounds like Pringles potato chips, minus the R. We're sometimes called the "Pringles" or the "Pingrees" or it's misspelled "Pingle" -- that happens most often. But, for kicks and giggles and out of sheer curiousity. I did a little research. Here's what I found:

PINGEL means...
  1. German: nickname from Middle High German pingel ‘little bell’.
  2. German: perhaps a spelling variant of Bingel. (Middle High German binge ‘depression’, ‘ditch’, ‘pit’, or a Westphalian nickname for a pedantic person, pingel.)
  3. North German: nickname for a fussy, petty person, from Low German pingel.
  4. German: variant of Pinger, or an Americanized spelling of German Pingel.
  5. Indian (Maharashtra); pronounced as ping-lay: Hindu (Brahman, Maratha) name, from Marathi ping?la, from Sanskrit pingala ‘reddish brown (usually, of hair)’ The Marathas have a clan called Pingle.

Fair enough. So, my new last name means little bell... depression... a fussy, petty person... or reddish brown hair. Sweet.

I then Googled "PINGEL" and here's what I found:

GOOGLE:
  1. Pingel Enterprise: "Home of the world's quickest motorcycle products!"
  2. Pingel Displays, Inc. -- A full service tradeshow marketing agency in St. Louis.
  3. Pingel Law - The website of Steven R. Pingel, Attourney in Long Beach, CA.
  4. Mike Pingel - Writer of the "Q Guide" to things like Wonder Woman and Charlie's Angels.
  5. The Pingel Family - Probably not related, but they're darling, the family of Ben and Becca Pingel (Funny... Adam has a brother named Ben and a sister named Bekah!) They have adorable triplets... how fun.
Conclusion?

Someday, somehow, I will become the heiress of one of the above companies/people. I don't know how, but it's GOT to happen. (Note: If any of you I listed would like to send my inheritance, please comment on this post and I will give you my address. I accept many forms of payment, including cash, personal check, money order, or credit card. Just make sure you drop the credit card in the mail, and have the account say "Darcy Pingel". Thanks.)


Alright... that's enough of that. Last but not least, I did a Google Images search for "Pingel" to see who my new family is... What kind of genetic background our children come from... you know, the important things to find out on the internet. Here are a few of my favorites:

This guy's name is Mike Pingel, just like the author, above.
He is a singer/storyteller and does assemblies for school kids.
I looked through his website a bit and found this gem, as well:


Coolest. Moustache. Ever.
Thanks, Mike, for being rad.
My kids are gonna rock.

Next, I came upon yet another member of the Pingel family...

This is Ms. Denise Pingel.
She is the Horticulture Greenhouse Manager at Southeast
Missouri State University in Girardeau, Missouri.
She's an educated lady -- has her masters in Carbondale
Plant, Soil and General Agriculture Emphasis Horticulture.
My kids will be smart... and lovers of nature.


And finally... "Rob Pingel - as a boy"
Phew... theeeere's the good looks I was waiting for!

Ok, ok... no more jokes.

It's right time I paid blog tribute to my real new family, The Pingels.


(Note: The above picture has an extra guy, an elder that was friends with the Pingels - he's the one in the suit. Also notice the absence of Ben, Michelle and Rachel, who weren't home when the picture was taken. Amen.)

I sure do love this kooky bunch, and they were loving, welcoming, and lots of fun from the start. For Bekah, Katie and McKay, I was their substitute teacher who started dating their brother... and ended up marrying him. I couldn't have asked for a sweeter second family to call my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is Becca from the crazy triplet, Missouri Pingels! We get the whole "Pringles" thing all the time too. UGH! Nice to "meet" you and not be the only Pingels out here blogging, although I'm a bit of a slacker these days!

Becca