These days, people say "Season's Greetings," which, when you think about it, means nothing. It's like walking up to somebody and saying "Appropriate Remark" in a loud, cheerful voice. But "Season's Greetings" is safer, because it does not refer to any actual religion. Some day, I imagine, even "Season's Greetings" will be considered too religious, and we'll celebrate the Holiday Season by saying "Have a nice day."
-Dave Barry
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think people say "Season's Greetings" because that way you can encompass the holiday season for all. If you just say Merry Christmas then what about those that celebrate Hannukah or Kwanza instead? Also, "seasons greetings" encompasses the Christmas season as well as the New Year holiday (like a 2-for-1) without having to include some and exclude others. Instead of saying "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!" you can just say "Seasons Greetings" and kill two birds with one stone. To me it's a way of wishing someone well whatever it is that they choose to celebrate. I don't think there is anything wrong with wishing someone a Merry Christmas if they celebrate something different,(it is the sentiment that truly counts) but I think for those particularly sensitive to others' differences,"season's greetings" is more than appropriate. Instead of seeing it as a warning sign of our society becoming more and more intolerant of religion and/or Christ, I see it as a sign that we are becoming more tolerant to other's religions and beliefs, more accepting of those who are different than us. To me the warning sign is not the phrase "Season's Greetings" but is rather the idea of Santa Claus and Christmas sales and spending. And even if Dave Barry is right, would it be such a bad world if people told each other to "just have a nice day?" I think the fact that we are wishing well to each other no matter what is what really counts- to me that is just scare tactics.
. . . And I'm probably over- analyzing. Oh how I miss our conversations :)
Oh, my overly-analytical Al. How I miss our conversations, as well. I can see your point - I think it's great to be tolerant and accepting and such... I just thought the idea of running up to someone and saying, "APPROPRIATE REMARK!" was... well... funny.
Have a nice day. :)
It's easier to say this year, simply because Christmas and Hannukah fall within just a couple days of each other. :-) Then again, don't listen to me. I think X-mas is a perfectly appropriate abbreviaton for Christmas. (I read somewhere that people used it so as not to use Christ's name too much)
Anyway happy New Year (since Christmas is over and all)
Post a Comment