So tonight I figured out a few things about myself, and I'd like to share:
I've been spending a lot of time alone at home. I'm a substitute teacher, which means I only work 1-3 days a week. I know what you're thinking... "Ooh, fun! I wish I had all that extra time!" NO. STOP IT. You really don't. Instead of being motivating, having lots of free time is actually de-motivating. I guess I work better under pressure, and tend to get more done when I have more to do. Silly, I know. I mean... I only worked half a day today and is my laundry done? No-sir-ee.
Another interesting facet of being semi-employed is that when I'm home by myself, I have a hard time with the silence... or maybe it's the lack of human interaction. Either way, I have to either have the tv on (even if I'm doing something else) or be on the internet, chatting with someone on Facebook chat or Gmail chat. This way, I feel like I'm interacting with my fellow beings... or at least watching/listening to them interact.
This afternoon I did something that I haven't done in a long time... A LONG afternoon nap. Let's face it: I stayed up too late last night, Adam is sick so odds are, I will be soon... and I just wanted to snuggle up in my bed in the middle of the day. What I've forgotten since my frequent college naps is that deep, paralyzing daze that I used to reach. You know, you wake up an hour or so into the nap and feel like you can't move your limbs or open your eyelids. It sounds creepy, but it's soooo fantastic. I really had to force myself out of bed so I could make Adam dinner before his rehearsals. (We had taco salad, by the way... and in the words of Rachael Ray, "YUM-O!")
Anyway... this has been an installment of random thoughts by yours truly. I hope you enjoyed this segment of our show, and you may now return to your regularly-scheduled web-surfing.
Goodnight!
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I know exactly what you mean about motivation. If the kids and I are just staying home all day, I feel like nothing gets done. But if we are going out and doing things, I always have things done. It's so weird. Maybe just write a big list of things you have no intention of doing and it will make you feel frazzled....I dunno.
I completely agree that the less you HAVE to do the less you choose to do. I have taken a break from working and am a stay at home liz, and I swear our house is 10X dirtier than it was before. There's just something about knowing that you have time tomorrow so why do it today. Enjoy the naps, they're the best!
So I found your blog on Facebook and when I read this post I felt compelled to post. We are kindred spirits on this point. I have been battle in the spare-time-lurgey for a while now! Your post made me smile.
Post a Comment