
"So, you'll probably need to taper off on your weight gain..."
This is what the nutritionist told me today at the WIC office. I smiled, genuinely, and laughed.
"Yeah, I figured you were probably going to tell me that," I said. "I'll have to do better!"
I know I'm not alone when I say weight gain is my very least favorite part of pregnancy. I didn't gain much of anything right at first, but just kept getting more thick around the middle. But when the weight gain did start... oh boy! My little buddy is growing like a moose -- and unfortunately, so is his Mommy!
I was a little bummed when I couldn't fit into my favorite jeans anymore, reluctant when my "fat jeans" were too small, and finally gave in and bought some maternity jeans... stretchy panel and all. (Don't worry, they're from Target and they're cute.) I've even invested in a few cute maternity items - dresses, shirts, etc.
But after being told today that I need to "taper off" the weight gain by a certified nutritionist, I am accepting this as truth and I'm going to do something about it. Besides getting myself a gym pass at our little gym here in West Yellowstone, I'm going to follow her advice on cutting out most of my cheese (Adam's excited about this one - more cheese for him!) and fruit snacks, which are my #1 pregnancy craving. Bummer, but oh well.
The good news is, fruits of all kinds are in season, and we happened to stock up on watermelon, canteloupe, grapes, strawberries, apples and nectarines on our last shopping trip. I even threw in some frozen peaches and blueberries for good measure - smoothie time! I am going to make yummy, cold fruit my new "treat" of choice, knowing my body - and baby - will thank me later.
So, as one who loves to bake and cook, I need some great recipes to facilitate my healthier eating habits. Maybe I can maintain the weight I've gained so far... let the baby grow healthily while the mommy sheds some of the excess weight she's gained? We'll see.
Blog friends, this is where you come in. Any pregnancy stories/advice - especially about weight gain in the 2nd-3rd trimesters? Any good healthy recipes or snack ideas? You can leave a comment here or e-mail me at darcymckayanderson@gmail.com
Thanks!
10 comments:
In my experience, WIC nutritionalists say that to EVERYone, whether it's actually true or not. If your doctor isn't concerned, then I wouldn't worry about it:) All the same, eating healthier is, of course, best for you and your baby.
The WIC nutritionalists made me panic about Emma's lack of weight gain when she was really little. Yes, I had reason to be concerned, but they majorly freaked me out - much more so than was warranted, I think. Anyway, I'm essentially saying that they don't always know what they're talking about. They may be nutritionalists, but they are NOT doctors:)
I've been craving fresh fruits lately. They are SO refreshing in the summer! Smoothies are a great idea. I've been meaning to make a yummy fruit salad, but I haven't gotten around to it and I think my strawberries are going bad:( You should check out allrecipes.com, if you haven't already. They have tons of awesome recipes, and I'm sure you'll easily be able to find some great healthy snack ideas there!
Not that I'm an expert, totaly in the first timer boat with ya, but I think it will all even out. I remember our first appointment, I'd been sick, REALLY SICK, for the two weeks before and was kind of excited to see how much weight all that puking had taken off of me.Ha, I'd gained 7 lbs! I was FREAKING out, I did the math and figured if I gained 7lbs every month I was going to be a whale by the end of this. Well the weight gain has slowed down, I really can't explain why, because I feel like I eat way more now.It seems to be true that you will gain fast at the start-slow at the end, or slow to sart-fast to end. It will work out. And I hear breast feeding can burn anywhere from 500-1500 calories a day, that's gotta help to get ya back in shape. I sure am hoping!
I agree with Sara all the way. The WIC ladies had me freaking out when I was pregnant with Rachel because I wasn't gaining enough weight. I kept going to the doctor and he would tell me everything was progressing "perfectly" and when Rachel was born I had gained the exact amount of weight experts recommend. You gotta take everything WIC ladies say with a grain of salt.
That being said, I don't have any good advice for you on eating healthy! I eat cold cereal all day every day. It's what I like and can eat without getting sick. I guess just try to follow the prego diet the best you can :)
I have no room to talk or give advice. I sit just 2 short (hopefully) weeks away from birth and I am putting on weight like mad. The best advice not for weight controll but for an easier labor is walk walk walk everyday walk. If you are able to breastfeed chances are you will lose it all anyways. Good luck I love food and find it hard to hold back when Im making something as special as a little baby.
Darcy, you are awesome. The best way for me to loose weight was just to have the baby! You should try it sometime.... ;) Love ya!
I had to drink Whole milk to gain enough for the twins. Now that I'm pregnant with a singleton I think I'm in the same boat as you. Right now I'm still in the "force myself to eat b/c I'm so nauseous" stage but I know being pregers during the holidays is going to be rough!! Soon you'll see on my blog a weight loss ticker or something.
I have no good advice and I also am not a fan of WIC ladies who supply us with 8 or more containers of juice a month but tell me to not give it my kids and to only drink 1 cup or less a day?? Just don't listen smile and nod 'til you get your checks.
Just remember, you don't want to set a goal of LOSING weight during pregnancy, rather than just maintaining. The best thing you can do about weight is to not worry about it. The more you think about it, the more you'll want the food that you're keeping from yourself. I would just stick to your plan of eating healthy, and stay busy. Also, if you eat six small, healthy meals a day, you'll boost your metabolism, and cut out the urge to snack. Plus, it makes digestion easier, which heaven knows I had issues with both pregnancies! You look great, don't worry!!!!
My exercise physiology professor, the man is a genius, told us that the easiest time in a female's life to drop weight is post pregnancy so don't you fret Darcy! You look fabulous as always. If your gym has a pool trying doing some water aerobics or swimming since that is pretty easy on a pregnant lady. I only know facts from designing workouts and nutrition plans, sorry!
With Zoe I gained about 25lbs and the doctor said all was well. With Cooper I only gained 18lbs. I just ate a lot of fruits and veggies and because I was sick I had to eat often to keep my blood sugar up. Drink lots of water and don't think about LOSING weight during your pregnancy because that is not a good choice. Just eat more raw foods and try and skip the all so tempting midnight runs to Taco Bell for a Nachos Bel Grande like I did with Zoe. Lol The WIC people are NOT doctors and if your doctor is not concerned with your weight gain, then don't stress. Plus if you are swelling like you are, that has a lot to do with it! Just hang in there. You look GORGEOUS by the way!!! -Kelsee
It is so hard to just see that scale go up and up for us women!! Isn't it? But the best advice I ever got was to remember what you get out of it all, and it can be lost later. :) For me, I just tried to keep exercising. Walk, walk (like they said above) and it sounds like you are trying to eat healthier, so you are doing great!! It is always hard for me to get the weight OFF, but you can with hard work, and habit breaking (because I think I just still ate the same at first and then realized I didn't really crave it anymore, it was just habitual). For now, just enjoy your blossoming belly/baby!!
Post a Comment