We went home to Coeur d'Alene for the weekend; a quick weekend trip that left us begging for more. We really, REALLY love that place. Next summer may find us there, for a change. About 5 minutes after we arrived, Adam said, "I don't want to leave... I don't even care about my classes."
The sad part was, we didn't have a single minute to actually enjoy being there. Between the baby shower Saturday (more on that later), having my mechanic-genius Dad fix our car and put on a new fender, and all the Adam's-new-motorcycle festivities, we were booked. Plus, we were only really there for one day.
Can we go back yet?
Meet "Roxy" -- Adam's new motorcycle.
He was SO excited to pick her up on our trip home.
She's a 1980 Honda CM400T.
He was SO excited to pick her up on our trip home.
She's a 1980 Honda CM400T.
...And a close-up of the cake that Adam's mom, Shari made.
Isn't it amazing?? She did a great job with the food.
The baby shower was fun. I was worried that we wouldn't have much of a turnout, because there was a lot going on this weekend... but I had more than a room-full of family and friends, both old and new. Baby Jack got a TON of clothes, some really cute blankets, and lots of other fun gadgets and toys. Only item left to buy is a car seat! (Anyone know of any good deals, or a really good seat... or both?)
The drive back was... well, more than eventful. Driving from Coeur d'Alene to Rexburg usually takes about 7 hours total, including a few food/potty/gas stops along the way. Well, when you're driving a motorcycle back, one or two stops turns into... eight? Ten? I don't remember. But when you're dealing with a motorcycle's tiny gas tank, the stops are numerous. We planned to leave in the morning sometime, but after a few unexpected stops, morning turned to afternoon before we were on the road. Whew!
Long story short, the trip was getting longer and longer, but we were safe. Bekah (Adam's sister) and I followed behind Adam in our Blazer, and we were finally over half way there when it started to get dark. But, as luck would have it, a quick stop in Rocker, MT proved to be more than just that. After we gassed up and were leaving the parking lot, I looked int he rearview mirror and noticed that Adam's headlight wasn't on. We pulled over, checked it out, and sure enough... it was burnt out.
It was a Sunday night about 9pm, and we were in the middle of nowhere... So we decided that staying the night was the only feasible option. He couldn't drive in the dark without a headlight, and we had no way of replacing it. Luckily, across the way was the Rocker Inn (sweet name, eh?). Time for an adventure!
We stayed the night, which was fun in some ways, despite the fact that we were adding another day onto our journey, and spending $70 we weren't planning on. I only really slept for 3 hours (contractions, heartburn, and-eek!-gas kept me up) but we survived. The Rocker Inn wasn't the Hilton by any means, but it was clean, and we had a place to sleep.
The next day was full of fun... including the fact that we wrapped Adam's already-gloved hands with some of baby Jack's new recieving blankets because they were freezing, among other things... and we FINALLY made it to Rexburg around noon on Monday. We were so glad to be home, and are still recovering from our wacky weekend.
Now, can I have a baby yet?
2 comments:
It was fun to see you guys even if it was only for a fleeting moment! Hey about car seats...it kind of depends on what you are going for. We got the car seat/stroller combo that we really liked. Some people like the "convertible" carseats that grow with the baby and you can use as a front facing seat later. We liked ours because you could take the seat with you into the store and hook it onto your cart and other convenient things like that. We have an Evenflo and have really liked it (it's going on three kids now!) Sorry to hear you are struggling so much with the sleep thing. I can't imagine having to deal with contractions on top of everything else. I wish you well! But just know that I am with you on the heartburn. Maybe every time you have heartburn you can think of me and know that I am feeling it at the same time too...not that that knowledge will really help you but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :)
darcy, you are so cute pregnant! and that cake looks awesome!
Post a Comment