This blog has MOVED! CLICK HERE for "The Charmed Life of the Pingels".

Monday, November 9, 2009

In case you were wondering...

I'm still alive.

I went to the ER last night. I didn't want to go... my hospital experience was so traumatic, that the thought of walking back through those doors to the ER just one week after I went into labor was almost painful enough that it made how I was feeling seem... well... not so bad.

I had a fever of 101.

I was also experiencing night sweats, chills, and shooting pains throughout my body (head, chest, legs, arms - you name it). Adam brought me to the ER, and after about an hour of blood tests, a flu test, a urine test, and yet another IV in my arm, the doctor left me with this:

"Well," he said, "A lot of people in this area have been sick."

Duh.

"Your white blood cell count is elevated, but nothing too extreme..."


Okay, so what's wrong with me?

"Wash your hands a lot, and drink lots of fluids."

Yeah, I know. So what's wrong with ME?

"There's nothing we can do. Okay?"

Umm... Okay. Wait... what? I just came to the Emergency Room for you to tell me to wash my hands and drink water? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? We left the ER feeling defeated... cheated... and just all-around bugged. I was still in pain and still had a fever. And the worst part is, we'll likely be charged an arm and a leg for a wasted hour, a bag of IV fluids, some worthless blood/urine tests, and a few words of unsure medical advice.

Last night was rough.

Luckily, I had enough milk stored to feed Little Buddy for most of the night, so I could sit in my half-asleep, painful state and make sure he was taken care of quickly. He's a generally happy little guy, and for that, I am truly grateful.

I woke up this morning in a pool of sweat.

Apparently, my fever broke. This is good news. My body is also feeling halfway decent this morning, which is also great news. I'll probably live. And although I feel like my postpartum body hates me, it's all worthwhile. I am quickly reminded when I look at this darling, little angel sleeping peacefully by my side. He has two modes: sleeping mode and eating mode. I guess he has an awake mode, but he doesn't show it often. He's perfect, and healthy, and his little cheeks get a little more chubby every day.

I couldn't ask for better.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

The Cysewski Family said...

Someday when Nick is a doctor, you can come to him and he can tell you to drink water and wash your hands, but he won't charge you a lot. He'll tell you that for free. You guys are still in our prayers, can't wait to see you! Feel better soon!

Bidwell said...

Darcy you are amazing! You have gone through so much in the last week and a half and are still so strong! We're so happy for you but don't try and do everything alone let us know whatever we can do for you, adam or jack!