This blog has MOVED! CLICK HERE for "The Charmed Life of the Pingels".

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Creepy or flattering?

The following is a conversation I had with a much older man today as I perused the sushi section at Whole Foods. I still can't decide if I'm flattered or creeped out... I saw the guy in the dairy section, and only noticed him because he was watching me. Then, a few minutes later, he was by my side at the sushi bar...

HIM: (looking down at my high-heeled shoes) "I could lose my way home behind a pair of shoes like that..."

ME: (looking around...) *awkward laugh* "Oh... ha ha..."

HIM: "Did you know they have a topless bar right over there?"

ME: "What?! Really?" *awkward laugh again*

HIM: "Yeah, you know, a Tapas bar... you know, Spanish food, where you can sit and taste little bits of things, sip wine... a TAPAS bar..."

ME: "Ohhh I thought you said a topless bar..." *laughing* "How fun."

(a few moments of silence pass as I quickly try to pick out some sushi before bolting... feeling a little bit strange about this encounter, I'll admit)

HIM: (smiling sweetly, he turns to leave) "You're incredibly beautiful."

ME: "Oh thanks!"

So... my question is... creepy or flattering? I still cant decide.

7 comments:

paintingyoupretty said...

Not to take away from the truth of the compliments, but seriouslys creepy. Chester??? I did love your shoes yesterday though.

Tannerama said...

How did it make you feel? Did it give you the creeps? Or did it make you blush?

Did it make you want to run away? Or did it make your knees all wobbly?

It is funny how thin the line between creepy and flattering really is.

My opinion is that it was creepy. Especially the topless/tapas bait and switch. That was gross. But, I did like the opener. But it was all down hill from there.

aaronymous said...

once again tanner shows wisdom beyond his age.
the only thing i take issue with is why you didn't invite me to go to whole foods with you. i LOVE that place.

Darcy said...

Tanner -- I felt creeped out AND it made me blush a little. Which is why I didn't slap him, nor did I ask for his number and make him my sugar daddy. I just kinda took it and put it in my back pocket.

And Aaron... I owe you one fun-filled date to Whole Foods. You name the day and time, I'm there.

f*bomb. said...

The only thing between a stalker and a really good boyfriend is if you like him.

Obviously he was trying to hit on you...but any time you feel uncomfortable in such a situation, I say trust your gut. Way too many women are too trusting and deny their inner-voice because they don't want to hurt someone's feelings or don't want to look mean. Predators count on that kind of reaction.

We don't pray to keep the Spirit just so we can continue to ignore it...So. Good job on avoiding Mr "I have a van in the parking lot with no window" Man.

Tannerama said...

What about the guy with the van in the parking lot with one window shaped like a diamond and mural of a unicorn racing a dragon airbrushed on the side? Then I think there would be an opposite reaction.

Darcy said...

I do have a thing for "raper vans" (as my girlfriends in highschool and I used to call them)... especially ones with unicorns.