I know, I said I don't believe in blogging about dating.
BUT in my defense, this one is completely warranted... and it's not my fault. In the recent past, I've been asked the same question over and over: "What's your list?" Meaning, of course, the list of things I'm looking for in a man/boyfriend/future spouse. And, being the crazy lady I am, I've decided I have THREE lists. So, if I may, I'd like to borrow from ColdStone and call them "Like It" and "Love It" and "Gotta Have It." I'm sure you'll catch on quickly.
The "Gotta Have It" list is the things I won't budge on. The important stuff. This list is simple.
"GOTTA HAVE IT"
1. LDS
2. Intelligent/educated
3. Spiritual and LOVES the Gospel as much as I do
4. Loves kids and dogs - wants both :)
5. Temple-worthy Priesthood holder
6. Financially stable, makes good decisions
7. Is my best friend
8. Communicates with me often
9. Patient, prudent, even-tempered, not a fighter
10. Hilarious
The "Love It" list is a little more flexible. It's the stuff that KEEPS me interested and coming back for more. The stuff that isn't mandatory, but is still very important and could very well make or break my interest...
"LOVE IT"
1. Loves music
2. Likes to dance
3. Likes to read
4. Laughs at off-color jokes... sometimes.
5. Encourages me to develop my talents
6. Blends in well with the fam
7. Is passionate about teaching the gospel
8. Wants to serve a mission with me someday
9. Enjoys exercising and eating healthy foods
10. Wants to live in Idaho
And finally, the "Like It" list. These are the bonus points. The sprinkles on the cupcake. The things that make me go "Mmmm..." I think you get it. I can budge on these ones, but they're still legit. Too legit to quit.
"LIKE IT"
1. Likes sushi
2. Is a cuddler
3. Likes country music
4. Is nice to waitresses and the elderly
5. Likes movies of all types
6. Smooth slow-dancing skills
7. Good kisser (duh)
8. Likes to give foot massages
9. Is okay with my shoe collection
10. Smells fantastic... or something... I'm running out of ideas...
OHHHHH BUT WAIT -- THERE'S MORE!
Just when you thought three lists was a bit much, there's what I'd like to call the "OTHER" list. These are the "what NOT to do's" that I'm a bit opinionated about. It's the most shallow of the lists, sure... but I'm completely 100% serious about each thing. (This, in fact, is the reason why I even wrote this blog in the first place.) Call me crazy. Call me shallow. But you know you've got an "OTHER" list of your own. Enjoy.
(No, there aren't quite 10 of them... yet. I know.)
The OTHER List:
1. Footwear
Hey there, Romeo... Your dirty old K-Swiss sneakers. Not hot. Never were. Neither are your slip-on Adidas sandals that you wear over socks. Gross. (I think I just puked in my mouth a little.) Being even a little choosy about what you put on your feet tells a classy woman that you care about looking nice for her -- 'Cause heaven knows she spent at LEAST a minute or two picking out her shoes. (Ok, maybe that's just me. But you get the point.)
2. Spelling and Grammar
I'm dead serious. This one comes in a close 2nd. Maybe it's the Journalism major in me. Maybe it's because I'm snotty about people who don't pay attention to details. OR, better yet... Maybe it's because you should have paid attention during Spelling when you were in 2nd grade... and 3rd... And if that wasn't enough, you really should have listened when they repeated the there/their/they're rule in your SENIOR English class. If you can't see something wrong with saying, "Your awesome!" Well, then... YOU'RE not awesome.
3. Man Necklaces
1996 called. They want their puka shells back.
4. Ultimate Fighting (UFC)
Most women despise this. Sure, we'll play along when you watch football or basketball. But watching two grown, consenting, sane (maybe) men brutally duking it out simply isn't my idea of a good time. ...But you already knew that.
5. Halo/Guitar Hero/Whatever
Never EVER choose video games over a girl. She will never forget it. It's not ok.
6. Dude, Where's my Brain?
News flash -- I'm a girl! Don't call me "dude" or "man". Puh-leeze.
7. MAN-icure
No, you don't have to go visit the Vietnamese ladies at the nail shop. But please keep your finger nails and toe nails trimmed. No one wants to date Nasty Feet Boy.
8. Appropriate Date Apparel
A t-shirt that says "I'm with stupid" or "Pull my finger" etc. is not -- I repeat -- NOT appropriate apparel for a grown-up, and especially not on a date... and most other situations where you don't want your clothing choices to say, "I'm a fifteen year old boy! Puberty, here I come!" Get it? Got it? Good.
(Disclaimer: The above list is a bit of an over-accentuated version of my true attitudes. But it was fun to write... and I really do mean most of it.)
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Good list . . . I am sure that you don't like being called BRO either.
I recently named my car Safe, because people were telling me to "Drive Safe."
http://thomcarter.blogspot.com/2007/12/safe-and-careful.html
I got sick of correcting them that I finally caved so that I could say to them, "Oh course I will drive Safe, it is my car."
HAHAHA i seriously love you!!! puka shells .... um NO.
good kisser is at number 7 on your "like it" list? yer a better person than I. just saying, cuz good kisser is absolutely on my "gotta have" list, probably in the top 5 of that list.
Number three on the other list made me laugh out loud. Thank you.
brilliant post!
love the different lists.
and the your/you're, there/they're/their rules pretty much will make or break a relationship for me. i cannot understand how people still do not understand (or care) about these rules!
ps- a agree with aaronymous. good kisser would at least have to be on my love it list ;)
Post a Comment