If you've been following along, you can probably remember that I recently had a sudden and unexpected move back home to Idaho after living in Huntington Beach, CA for a year. Without re-telling that story completely, I now understand it to be the hand of deity in my life. I wasn't sure why I was coming back to Idaho, but I knew it was what I had to do. I got back around the first of November, 2007.
I saw Adam for the first time on my first Sunday back in the Coeur d'Alene Singles Branch. I remembered him from high school when we had met, but we had lost touch over the years and miles that then separated us. Adam had returned from his mission to Cleveland, OH about the same time I returned from California... which we both now agree is more than happenstance. We had a quick, pleasant conversation... and later found out that we had both started to develop little crushes on one another this very day.
The following weeks were interesting... Adam and I were each dating, but never each other. We'd see one another at church activities and our interactions were mutually noted as positive and meaningful. We'd talk and flirt, drop hints for one another... but I thought Adam was dating someone else, and he thought I was "out of his league." (Puh-leeze!) Pretty cute, though...
The best part began about three weeks ago. Our ward had a Christmas dinner and dance, and Adam and I found each other and had a blast talking and dancing. He was wearing a brown retro suit and I was wearing a black vintage dress. As we talked, I took off my heels to ease my tired feet and Adam said "Darcy... wow... you're... SHORT! You're the perfect size! I love it!" On my end, Adam had my interest piqued with his swing-dancing skills. He's a great triple-stepper... fancy footwork and all! :) Adam invited me over to watch a movie at his house that night, but I ended up staying at the dance, and was sad to see my phone had died when I decided to call him about coming over. But I figured since he had put forth an effort, I'd reciprocate...

I had been asked to sing in church the next Sunday, and am Adam's biggest fan when it comes to singing. Adam has a rich, genuine singing voice, and I was thrilled on Sunday night when he agreed to sing with me the following week. He invited me to his parents' house to figure out a song, and invited me to stay when the family had their weekly movie-and-popcorn time that night. I was impressed with his family, and my love for him began to grow. Adam was a perfect gentleman, and his family was warm and welcoming.
Two nights later, Adam texted me and invited me to go home teaching and caroling with him. I was just getting off work, and decided to forgo the laundry and early bedtime I had been planning and tag along with him. We had a fantastic time visiting friends and family, and even happened to get to Aunt Vickie's house just as she was dipping her Christmas chocolates. Perfect timing! We had great conversation, he met my parents when we stopped by my house to switch shoes (mine were soaked from the snow) and ended the evening by talking for a long while in my car. At the end of the night, Adam told me that he wanted to take me on a "real" date, and that he had a great time with me that night. I was beginning to fall for him...
In part of our conversation Tuesday night, I had mentioned that I always forget my lunch when I substitute teach. I was completely floored when, the next morning, he had his sisters bring a brown paper sack to me at the high school. On the front, it read, "Miss Anderson... In case you forget." Now I tell him, "You had me at sack lunch!" Funny, but true. I was grinning all day long. That night was Adam's improv reunion show. I had a blast watching him perform (Oh yeah, did I mention that he sings, acts, dances, and isn't half bad at basketball and football, too?) Adam put his arm around me during the show, and it was clear that we were headed for more-than-friends status... and soon. Adam told me that he was falling for me that night, which was something I had always wanted -- a man to be completely straightforward with me about his feelings, right from the start. (Take notes, boys!)
The next night, Adam came over to help my Dad with some remodeling... he only ended up helping to hang a picture, but he slyly mentioned something about giving him the title of "boyfriend"... Well, long story short, I gave him the title later that night on our way to practice our song for sacrament meeting. He was surprised -- I never have official "boyfriends" but I knew Adam was the real deal... So it was official. This was December 20.
We were together every day since. The next night, Adam accompanied me to my work Christmas party, and we went to a movie afterward. On the way to the movie, he said, "Darcy... what if we got married? We would have so much fun!" And then quickly... "Sorry... that was weird." I said, "No! Not weird at all! Actually... the weird thing was that it wasn't weird!" After the movie, we continued our conversation, and were both completely on the same page about our relationship progressing to marriage. (Mind you, this was the day after we started dating... crazy!)
The following week was spent together... From Adam's Troubadour Reunion Choir Concert to our first Christmas together, we were quickly realizing that this was... it. We couldn't get enough of each other, and quickly became best friends. The strangest thing was exchanging sentiments about how we'd both made lists of what we were looking for... and how he matched up perfectly to my list, and how I matched his.
The next Sunday (the 30th... ten days together...) Adam came over to ask my Dad for my hand in marriage. It was sweet hearing him re-tell the story, and I'm very proud of him for being so brave with my old man. We left soon after, and on our way to pick up his car, he said, "Darcy... can I only ask you once?" I reminded him, "Hey, the whole asking-me-to-marry-you thing is totally your deal." Adam didn't waste a minute... So right there, in my car (I was driving), he unbuckled his seat belt and knelt in front of the passenger's seat, asking me to marry him. It was very sweet, and I'd like to say I was teary-eyed, but it was so unexpected and unconventional, I was laughing hysterically. It was the cutest thing... he's such a sweetheart.
If you're paying attention, you're quickly realizing... TEN DAYS! Adam and I were only officially together for ten days before we were engaged. It came out of nowhere, but it's so right that I wouldn't have it any other way.
And so... the big announcement! (Drum roll, please...)
I am engaged to Adam Scott Pingel and we're getting married May 2nd in the Spokane, WA Temple!! Thanks to everyone who has already sent well-wishes and congratulations.
(PSSSST... I need your addresses for invites!)
9 comments:
Congratulations!!!
Darcy, I always knew that it was jsut a matter of time until you got the man of your dreams. It is great to hear how happy you are.
Let us know how we can help with any of your wedding preparations and remember that you always have an open door and place to sleep in Lehi!
Your brother from the same mother,
Johnny
darcy! congratulations on your engagement, that's awesome! great story, Adam is a lucky guy.
i don't even know you. but i've been blog stalking you for a little while now and you're totally darling. having said that...
CONGRATS!! I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!
what a fun story!
Darcy!!! I had heard the good news, but it was more exciting to hear it from you. Congratulations. You are still missed but I am glad to hear that your bittersweet move has become more sweet than bitter. :)
Congrats!
-Corey
Darcy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY! I love your story! It's wonderful. I don't think it's one I'll ever get tired of hearing. I love you!
Congrats!! I know I haven't seen you since Idaho but I love your blog. You're adorable!
Dearest Darcerella,
Your story is so freakin sweet I think I got a toothache while reading it...even though I heard it the day after the engagement. ha. I love it. Congrats pretty lady, I'll see you in May!
Jennzilla
Interesting to know.
Post a Comment