This blog has MOVED! CLICK HERE for "The Charmed Life of the Pingels".

Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall Shenanigans... and Bedroom Makeover!

My, what a fun week of "planned distractions" I've had. I spent a lot of the week baking fall-ish breads (Pumpkin, Zucchini and Banana - let me know if you want recipes!) Here's a picture of the completed Zucchini bread...

Believe me, it tasted even better than it looks.

Next, I decided (as mentioned in a previous post) that my bedroom was U-G-L-Y (and "it ain't got no alibi" etc.) and something needed to be done... Immediately, if not sooner. So, summoning the advice of friends Carrie and Liz, who suggested I cover canvases in fabric to make a faux headboard, I decided to hit up my favorite (and only, unfortunately) trusty thrift store in Rexburg: Deseret Industries. I figured I'd find some sort of inexpensive, previously-owned canvas to recover, and maybe a few other treasures along the way.

What happened, you ask??

Well, I found this little treasure:

I loved the big, gold frame, and the fact that it had a big canvas inside, ready for me to cover with fabric, just added to its appeal. (Sure, we did mourn the loss of the Cowboy-and-Bull painting by "Elrod" -- which means "The King" -- but knew it just wouldn't work in our room.) It was only $15... which is a great deal for the frame and canvas, for their size.

I cut up an old, silky duvet cover that had some pretty leaves embroidered on top. Next, I used the gold, flat-headed thumbtacks to attach the fabric to the canvas, and then reattached the gold frame. As a final touch, I fastened a tin plaque I purchased at Ross earlier that day (for $2.99 or $3.99 - great deal!) in the center. Here's the finished product. I'm in LOVE!




So... what do you think? I love it... and I don't think the pictures do any justice.

The rest of the weekend was all kinds of fun: Saturday, Alex and Emily (my fabulous college roommates) put on Baby Shower #2: The Rexburg Edition. (My title, not theirs. Has a nice ring to it.) Anyhoo, it was a fun mish-mash of friends from home, college, and Playmill. We had a fun time with good treats (fall-ish breads, anyone?) and DARLING presents. Thank you to everyone that came, and for all the gear you picked out for our "little buddy. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures. I'm SO BAD AT THAT! SOMEBODY HELP ME! Oh! And thank you to "Als" and "Em" for the darling shower, as well. So fun.

Sunday morning, we drove to Shelley, ID for my cousin Austin's missionary homecoming talk in church, and a family dinner. It was fun to see everyone, and to eat some yummy lunch at Aunt Mary's house. Afterward, we drove home, squeaked in a decent Sunday nap (I loooooove Sunday naps!) and then went to Scott and Carrie's house for Sunday dinner. Carrie had a traumatic experience with her Home Teachers right before we showed up... for a complete run-down, just go to her blog. It's funny... in retrospect. (Right, Carrie?) We also played Settlers of Catan, ate 2 kinds of zucchini bread, did some Scentsy smell-testing (I want one REALLY bad) and talked our faces off... til after 1am. I am kind of crazy about those two, now... hooray for good friends!

That pretty much sums up life to this point.

Oh, what, you wanted to know how the BABY is??

Well... apparently, he loves his dark, warm, cozy belly-home. At my doctor's appointment Monday, I was STILL 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. Bummer deal for me -- I'm SO anxious to meet the little guy! He's due this Saturday, on Halloween. He can come NOW, if he wants.

Or NOW... or.... NOW! C'mon, baby!

*sigh*

Stay tuned, I guess.

2 comments:

Raechelle said...

LOVE the faux headbard - it's fabulous. I may have to steal your idea! I've been thinking about you every day and wondering when the day is going to come...

xoxox

Carrie Lynn said...

Scott and I are pretty in love with you and Adam and your baby boy (even though he made you groan a few times). And yes, in retrospect, the home teacher thing IS funny. I've found the humor now that I've told the story half a million times.
Your frame thing is adorable- and it's true: the picture doesn't do it justice.