HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!!
And, in honor of my Dad's birthday, I'm going to post a recipe! (I know, it doesn't make sense, but just go with me on this, okay?)
I was craving tortilla soup and had all of the ingredients... I looked up a recipe and wasn't satisfied, so I decided to make my own. I made it in the crock pot and it was DELICIOUS, so I decided to share it with the world. And so... *drum roll, please* ...Introducing...
Darcy's Turkey Tortilla Soup
INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. Ground Turkey (browned)
1 can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
2 cups Corn Kernels
1 can Black Beans (drained and well-rinsed)
1 can Pinto Beans (drained and well-rinsed)
4 cups Chicken Broth (or 4 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 4 c. water)
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1/8 teaspoons Black Pepper
2 teaspoons Taco Seasoning
1/2 cup Onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons Lime Juice (optional, but very tasty)
1 cup Corn Muffin Mix (Jiffy is about 50 cents a box)
Tortilla Chips
Grated Cheese (Cheddar, Colby Jack... Whichever cheese you like best)
Sour Cream (optional - I prefer Fat Free)
Snipped Cilantro
DIRECTIONS:
Brown ground turkey in medium-sized skillet. (I like to shake in some dried onion flakes while I brown meat, for flavor.) Plug in crock pot and turn on LOW setting. Add chicken broth and whisk in corn muffin mix until well incorporated. Stir in browned ground turkey, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, pinto beans, chili powder, black pepper, taco seasoning, onion and lime juice. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Cook on LOW setting for at least an hour, or all day, if you like (it tastes better the longer it cooks).
Serve warm, with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, cheese and cilantro to garnish.
(Note: And don't forget while you're enjoying your delicious soup... It's low in fat if you go light on the cheese! Hooray!)
2 comments:
Wow Darc your such the Suzie homemaker! I didn't know you had it in ya.
Darcy...I tried this recipe over the weekend and WOW. Super yummy and healthy and makes great leftovers as well! I paired it up with some homemade cornbread and it was definitely a cure for a cold, windy day. Kudos and thanks for the yummy recipe!
p.s. i also tried your apple fritters a while ago...delish!
Post a Comment